10 Things Every Rider Should Do To Prepare for the Ring
Hi guys, Jim Hickey here, International peak performance coach for showjumpers
Today I'm very excited to share with you to tips in relation to getting your mindset right which is so important in helping to the next level in your showjumping career
It is about identifying and facing negative thoughts that every showjumper must deal with.
Recognising what memories I link to your negative thoughts is the first step in this positive journey
In order to move to the next level in show jumping you must face your fears
These two tips are in relation to handling emotions and fears that every showjumper must face.
Professional showjumpers from around the world have come to me and no matter their level they all have fears they must face in order to move to the next level
This video is all about identifying those fears in order to move forward.
This first video is part of a four-part video series in learning to turn negative thoughts into positive thoughts
Step 1. Identifying Your Negative Show Jumping Thoughts
For any showjumper to attain confident, consistent clear rounds they must be in a positive state of mind.
More importantly, a professional show jumper must know how to achieve this positive state of mind when necessary.
I'm sorry to have to go through this painful process but it is all part of taking a show jumper to the next level
As we attempt to identify your negative thoughts I encourage you to write these memories and negative thoughts down.
Recognising what memories you link to your negative thoughts is the first step in this positive journey.
What Are Your Show Jumping Fears?
- I don't have the ability to jump an 80, 90 or 1 metre.
- I could NEVER jump a professional 1.60m!
- Will I get my distance wrong?
- Do you doubt yourself?
- Are you too hard on yourself?
- Do you remain in a negative space days after competitions
- Does your fear freeze you?
- Does fear get you too hyped?
- Do you think to yourself you will never improve?
- Do you think you'll never get there?
- Are you jealous of a friend or competitor?
- Do you think you don’t know enough or not in the right family or circle to take you to the next level?
- You struggle to remember courses?
- Do you struggle to hold focus or concentration?
- Do you get over whelmed?
- Do you get nervous in relation to crowds watching you?
- Do you Panic?
- Do you question yourself and your abilities?
- Do you sometimes feel like you want to hide?
- You think, you believe you are simply not at this level?
If you truly want to move forward as a show jumper you must write down what negative thoughts and fears are holding you back?
As an international peak performance coach for show jumpers I can assure you that no matter the doubts, negative thoughts or fears you are facing, you are not alone in facing them.
Show jumpers from around the world have come to me and more times than not their are fears are the similar.
Show Jumping Tip:
Having fears are normal!
Never use negative language in relation to your showjumping or your horse.
These thoughts can take hold in your memories and mind and develop into something more than there were.
Learn to remember and focus on the positive and good rounds you cleared.
We all know we can ride brilliantly when we are on our own or when there is no pressure, so you must identify which fears effect us most and deal with them.
The more we focus and hold onto negativity the more we push out memories of times we did ride well.
The more we do this, the more we push out the love we feel for our animals.
Please thinking deeply and identify what gets you most upset in your world of show jumping - write it down
Fear is what makes us fall.